Ultraman (ウルトラマン Urutoraman), also called Original Ultraman (初代ウルトラマン Shodai Urutoraman), Original (初代 Shodai), or Man (マン), is the first Ultra to visit Earth and defended it against Kaiju until he was recalled after his battle with Zetton. He was given his title by the man Shin Hayata, who was Ultraman's human host during his time on Earth.
The name "Ultraman" is a compound name. "Ultra" is a prefix that means "on the far side, beyond" to the extreme level, which means that the term "Ultraman" literally means "on the far side, above men." In other words, the Ultramen are beings that are highly superior to the human race. His name in Japanese is Choujin, which means "Ultra Man" written with a space between "Ultra" and "Man." The series title, as transliterated from the Japanese characters, reads as "Urutoraman", which means "Ultraman" and is written as one word.
Design Ultraman has an entirely silver and red body. The silver is supposedly made of solid Specium, whereas the red parts are organic. Ultraman possesses two oval-shaped eyes, which shine whenever he is alive and full of energy. When Ultraman loses energy, his eyes start to either turn on and off, or turn off completely, showing he is either unconscious or in a state of death, though his eyes also switched off when he was blinded. Ultraman possesses, on his chest, a Color Timer, which functions as his "warning light." When he is losing his power, or is extremely weak, his Color Timer, which is connected to his heart, changes color into a red color and starts blinking His Color Timer. Ultraman's body has a humanoid form, and on his back he wears a dorsal fin, extending almost all the way down his back but not rising up very high on his skin, whose purpose is unknown. Not all Ultras share the dorsal fin, like Ultraman 80. Ultraman possesses two rectangular "ears," and he has a small crest on his head too.
It is popular knowledge that the Ultramen are beings completely made of light. However, the Ultras are not simply made of light when in physical form, just like humans, they possess internal organs and even bones, similar, if not the same, to a human's. From the pictures seen on the side, taken from some documents from Tsuburaya Productions, Ultraman possesses the same bones as humans: a pelvis, a spine, ribs, among other bones in his arms and legs. From his organs, his lungs can be seen. Ultraman also possesses very strong and toned muscles in his entire body. The Color Timer functions as part of Ultraman's heart, and when the Color Timer has either been totally destroyed or severely damaged, it transforms into a spiky form. Ultraman's skull clearly has the oval shaped position of his Multi-Presensing Eyes (マルチプレセンシングアイ Maruchi Puresenshingu Ai), his Digital Sonic Organized Ears (デジタルソニックオーガナイズドイヤー Dejitaru Sonikku Ōganaizudo Iyā) are also shaped from the skull, and his Space Navigate Deflector (スペースナビゲートディフレクター Supēsu Nabigēto Difurekutā) crest is part of the skull too. Their silver skin, or Ultra Armor, is made of solid Specium itself. In his right and left hands, there are glands that emit Specium Energy Minus Rays (スペシウムエネルギーマイナス線 Supeshiumu Enerugī Mainasu-sen) and Specium Energy Plus Rays (スペシウムエネルギープラス線 Supeshiumu Enerugī Purasu-sen) respectively, which are needed to fire the Specium Ray.
Ultraman's fighting style was originally very simplistic, mainly punches, kicks and the occasional throw, followed by the Specium Ray. As time went on, more techniques were added to his roster and the fights became more choreographed. Ultraman's first suit actor, Bin "Satoshi" Furuya, was a student of judo, and as the series went on, his background as a martial artist was put to use in the fights. Several of Ultraman's attacks are made on techniques from Judo, such as the Ultra-Attack Ray. Also, the reason for the Specium Ray cross style position is, according to some, Eiji Tsuburaya having borrowed ideas from Christianity (he was a convert to Roman Catholicism), and the ray's stance is based on the cross, a famous symbol of good.
Ultraman's personality is shown through his host for most of his main series. Ultraman is shown to be fairly clever, as he was able to outsmart his team and many enemies as well. His patience, however, is shown to be questionable, as he initially resorts to aggression upon facing monsters. Although, he is shown to be passive, if not persuasive when he needs to, as shown with Seabozu. He also is shown to be very concerned and sorry with what he had done to Hayata, and even after the first wave of invasion had ended with Zetton, he insisted that the man should live when Zoffy was going to relieve him of his duties.
Initially a basic Ultra Soldier, Ultraman arrived on Earth while pursuing an escapee of the Monster Graveyard; Bemular. In his pursuit, he accidentally collided with Shin Hayata, an officer of the Science Patrol, who was on a scouting mission in his jet. Hayata was killed in the same crash, but out of remorse, Ultraman gave Hayata his own life, and merged their bodies, to keep him alive. After Bemular was destroyed, Ultraman stayed to protect Earth from more threats, such as ancient monsters and alien invaders. Some memorable mentions are his encounters with the Baltan, his close match with Alien Mefilas, and his defeat at the deadly monster Gomora. However, his time on Earth came to a close after his battle with Zetton. His Color Timer was damaged in his fight with Zetton, in which his enemy used a weapon that Ultraman had not expected--one specifically targeting the Ultra Warrior's warning light. Zetton was left to be destroyed by the Science Patrol. Ultraman was retrieved by his superior, Zoffy, and was taken back to their home world.
Shortly after his defeat by Zetton, Ultraman returned back to Earth some time before Ultraseven's arrival. However, Ultraman felt a huge loss in confidence and physical strength due to his defeat at the hands of Zetton. Indeed, he became so weak that the Science Patrol was saving Ultraman from the monsters, instead of Ultraman, himself, saving the humans. Of course, Ultraman was far from alone in being heavily affected; Hayata was suffering too, and Arashi even suggested that he drink stamina beverages to recover his energy.
At one point, Hayata's Ultra power sensed the arrival of another invasion by the Zettonian army. Another Zetton attacked the Science Patrol's HQ, whereas at the same time another Red King was causing chaos. Luckily enough, a Pigmon communicated with Ide and told him what was bound to happen. History repeated itself and this Pigmon was also killed at the hands of Red King. Watching that Pigmon die angered Hayata, who transformed into Ultraman. Though Ultraman defeated the evil kaiju, to everyone's misfortune, a huge army of monsters were reawakened. Ultraman found himself with no choice but to make the decision to absorb heavy dosages of solar energy, and he managed to create various clones of himself to fight each monster at the same time, all of whom he defeated and re-destroyed.
As if things could not have gotten worse, a second Zetton was attacking the Space Patrol HQ, and thus Hayata was again forced to fight him. In the epic clash between the two, Ultraman was severely injured as before. This time, however, just at the point when he was about to suffer a second defeat at Zetton's hands, Ide completed his creation of a device that boosted the levels of solar energy inside Ultraman. Arashi agreed and shot the device at Ultraman's Color Timer; this granted Ultraman a large boost in power, and he unleashed a super-powered version of his Specium Ray at Zetton. This time, the Specium energy was too powerful for Zetton to withstand it, and Zetton exploded into pieces. Ultraman, having finally and truly finished his mission on Earth, and this time with no such damage to his warning light as had forced him to leave Earth before, returned to the Land of Light.
Return of UltramanEdit
After Ultraman Jack was defeated by Alien Nackle and Black King, Jack was taken by Nackle's ships to his home planet to be executed, however, just before he could be killed, Ultraman and Ultraseven appear, rescue and save Jack by using the Ultra Star which revived Ultraman Jack and destroyed his ships. Jack thanked his comrades and went back to Earth.
After an Ultra Sign was summoned, Ultraman and the other Ultra Brothers saw it and headed for Planet Golgotha. After their arrival, each member asked the others what's wrong. Ace said he saw The Ultra Sign and Ultraman was confused, as he assumed that Ace had summoned the Ultra Sign. Yapool summoned Baraba to destroy Earth and The Ultras realized it was all a trap and that Ace has to go back to Earth, but a cold mist was unleashed that weakened the Ultra Brothers. Ace hesitated to return to Earth, so Ultraman decided that they should give him their powers to get Ace to Earth, but Ace wouldn't accept it because it would kill the Ultras, so Ultraman slapped him in the face and encouraged Ace to go back to. The Ultra Brothers gave enough power to Ace, who flew back to Earth, but the Ultras were pulled to their crosses and were to get tied on their crosses. Ace managed to return to Earth and quickly fought Baraba. Yapool, however, warned Ace that if he kills Baraba, the Ultra brothers would be killed by the entity himself. Unable to properly fight with the thought of his brothers in danger, Barbara gained the upper hand until Ace reverted back to his previous forms of Hokuto and Minami as Baraba returned back to Yapool, his mission a success. Ace Killer appeared and absorbed the Ultra's powers, and took Ultraman Jack's Ultra Bracelet. Ace came back but had a tough battle with Ace Killer, so they give Ace their energy from their Color Timers. Ace was able to defeat him with the Space Q. They went back to M78 while Ace went back to Earth to fight Baraba.
When Ace summoned the Ultra Sign, Ultraman, and the Ultra Brothers flew to Earth, and we're shocked to see that Ace had been turned into a Jade Statue. Alien Hipporito suddenly appeared, and they were prepared to fight, but Alien Hipporito trapped Ultraman, and Zoffy in chambers while Jack and Seven dodged away from it. While Seven was fighting the alien, Jack tried to free Ultraman, and Zoffy but was trapped too after attempting to get them out with his Ultra Bracelet. Later, and they were all turned to statues. Ace freed him and the rest of Ultra Bothers and brought Father of Ultra back to the Land of Light.
After taking the Father of Ultra back to M78 after the battle with Alien Hipporito and while Ultraman Taro fights Enmargo, Juda summons Grand King. The Ultras see it coming and lured it to another planet after failing to destroy it in space using their Ultra Beams. While the Ultra Brothers were completely decimated by Grand King, Father of Ultra awakens and says Taro is the only one able to defeat it.
The Mother of Ultra tells Taro this and he defeats Enmargo. He flies to the aid of his brothers. Then Mother of Ultra tells them they must channel their energy into Taro's horns. They do so and vanish, and Taro becomes a Super Ultra. He soon defeats the monster and Juda vanishes. Father of Ultra is recovered and they all have an inspirational conversation and Taro became a member of the Ultra Brothers.
Ultraman along with the Ultra Brothers revived Kotaro after he died in a plane crash by Astromons. When Taro retreated after being hurt by Mururoa and went to the Land Of Light, Ultraman, and the Ultra Brothers were waiting for Taro when he arrived. They all went to retrieve the only item which could clear the space monster's smoke, the Ultra Bell. Taro and The Ultra Brothers arrived, pulling the Ultra Bell with them. The legendary device’s tolling cleared away Mururoa’s darkness in an instant! After Mururoa was defeated, Taro returned the Ultra Bell.
Ultraman joined the battle against Alien Temperor when he was visiting Earth and Taro with the Ultra Brothers.
The evil alien Babarue managed to freeze Astra, Ultraman Leo's younger brother, and later made a disguise out of him. "Astra" flew to the Land of Light, and after being followed by the Ultra Brothers (Ultraman, Zoffy, Ultraman Jack, and Ultraman Ace), he manages to steal the Ultra Key. The Ultra-homeworld fell out of its orbit, and was heading towards Earth to crash. When he was going to escape, he was stopped by Ultraman, and the two had a short fight, but "Astra" escaped and flew to Earth. The other brothers raised Ultraman from the ground, and he said that it wasn't Babarue who stole the Ultra Key, but "Astra", the Ultras were shocked, and they all flew to Earth following him, not before informing Ultraseven that "Astra" took the Ultra Key. Dan Moroboshi told Gen Ohtori about what happened, Gen was shocked, and after "Astra" arrived on Earth, Dan tried to stop him using his Ultra powers, and the Ultra Brothers arrived on the scene. Gen stopped Dan, and the two started to fight, but the Ultra Brothers started to fight against "Astra". Ultraman managed to hurt "Astra" and make him fall, but he raised up, and after Gen Otori and Moroboshi stopped fighting, he used his Ultra powers and made "Astra" weak, but Gen recovered and beat Moroboshi to unconsciousness, and he transformed into Ultraman Leo. After a hard battle against the four Ultra Brothers, he raises "Astra", asks him what he did but "Astra" didn't answer anything, and tells the Ultras to stop, but they denied and told him that stealing the Ultra Key may make the Land of Light to clash against Earth, destroying it. At that same moment, the Land of Light was close to Earth, and natural disasters started to occur, earthquakes and fissures were occurring. And the Ultra Brothers started to fight both Leo and "Astra". After a short battle, the Ultra Brothers had no choice but to use their Triple Ray against "Astra", and they fired them at him, but Leo protected him and took the damage. Leo fell to the ground completely hurt, "Astra" menaced the Ultra Brothers, and he was going to shoot a beam from the Ultra Key, but suddenly, a mighty thunder from the sky fired at "Astra", and he fell to the ground, and the Ultra Key broke into two pieces. And suddenly, Ultraman King appeared, and after saluting Zoffy, he told the Ultras to watch out for "Astra", and he fired his ray, and the fake Astra transformed back into Alien Babarue. The Ultras defeated Babarue, recovered the real Astra from his imprisonment, and Ultraman Leo and Astra became the first members from the Inter Galactic Defense Force that were not born in the Land of Light.
Ultraman Mebius & the Ultra BrothersEdit
In 1986, Ultraman, Seven, Jack and Ace were fighting, U-Killersaurus after a rough battle on the moon. When The Ultras were about to launch there rays at the enemy, Ultraman alerts them that if they fire and miss, their rays would destroy the Earth, so The Ultras threw the monster in to the sea next to the city Kobe. The heroes decided the only way to defeat it and Yapool, was to seal it under the sea with the Final Cross Shield, but at the cost of not being able to transform in their Ultra selves. They used the Final Cross Shield, and the monster was sealed along with Yapool, and peace reigned on Earth for many years. Now taking on the forms of Shin Hayata, Dan Moroboshi, Hideki Go and Seiji Hokuto, the four Ultra Brothers were stranded on Earth.
Then 20 years later 2006, Shin Hayata has become an airport administrator of the Kobe airport and sees Mirai Hibino land in Kobe, who was looking into strange readings found in the area, and later met Mirai in person and invited him to see the rest of the Ultra Brothers, and their human hosts.
When Ultraman Mebius was fighting Imitation Mebius, Hayata and the others watched. After Mebius defeated Alien Zarab, he was surprisingly attacked by Alien Guts, was defeated, and sealed in a cross of crystal. Seiji decided to help Mebius. Hayata, Dan and Go initially refused due to their worry of breaking the Final Cross Shield, but after a short while, they all agreed after remembering their duties as Ultramen. The Ultra Brothers then transformed once again. The brothers fought for about 1-2 minutes with their low energy, despite this, but because of their limited power, they were defeated by Guts and Alien Nackle, and they were all crucified in crosses above Kobe's sea where Yapool and U-Killersaurus were sealed. Guts and Nackle then threw Mebius away and drained the remaining energy from Ultraman and the other Ultra Brothers.
While seeing his fellow Ultras in pain, Mebius found new strength after being encouraged by a young boy whom he befriended prior to the battle, and the teachings of the four Ultra Brothers, he then returned to the fight, with great courage. He managed to destroy Alien Guts, and freed the Ultra Brothers, but not in time. U-Killersaurus and Yapool where already freed from their prison. Once freed, the Yapool killed Alien Nackle and upgraded the U-Killersaurus to U-Killersaurus Neo.
The powerful Choju easily beaten down the weakened Ultras, until surprisingly, Commander Zoffy, and Ultraman Taro arrived on the fray. Taro and Zoffy quickly restored their fellow Ultra's energy, but even with full power they still could not defeat the monster. They decided to give their light to Mebius to finish the battle. Ultraman Mebius, combined with the other Ultra Brothers, transformed into Mebius Infinity, and defeated it once and for all.
Alien Mefilas III, the third generation of Ultraman's old sworn enemy, Alien Mefilas I came to Earth after his partners Yapool, Deathrem, and Grozam were killed. Mefilas III came with his ship to Japan, and used his mind control power to turn all the population against Ultraman Mebius, and switched their minds thinking it was Mefilas III himself who was saving the world all the time. However, Ultraman, as Shin Hayata, was watching, and tried to stop Mefilas III from what he was doing, however, because Mefilas III didn't harm any humans, Ultraman couldn't fight him. Mefilas III later tries to attack GUYS, but Ultraman Mebius appears to fight him, and later Ultraman joined the fray too. Mefilas III fires a beam of electricity at Ultraman, but Ultraman is immune to it. After a short but heavy battle against Mefilas III, Ultraman tells him to surrender, because he can't defeat two Ultras and GUYS, Mefilas III wisely surrenders, but promises for the second time, that he will return to fight Ultraman. Sadly, the promise was broken because Mefilas III was killed later by the evil Alien Empera. When Alien Empera covers sun with a rock, all the Ultras Brothers used their rays to destroy the rock.
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster BattleEdit
At one point, Ultraman went to a terraformed planet, Boris, but was overpowered and somehow petrified into a mountain side. In the series finale, when the ZAP SPACY Crew attempted to flee the planet, Ultraman subdued the the malfunctioned robot from Planet Pedan, allowing the team to escape as the Planet Boris was turned into nothing but a giant planet-sized fireball when NSP Campanella, an artificial sun from Ultraman Dyna's world crashed into the planet.
Ultra Galaxy Mega Monster Battle: Never Ending OdysseyEdit
After Alien Rayblood was destroyed by EX Gomora and EX Red King, his soul however wasn’t finished yet. As the ZAP SPACY was escaping Planet Hammer as it was imploding, Alien Rayblood spirit emerged from the black hole that was the planet to attempt to pull them back to their deaths. However the spirit was ultimately stopped by the combined forces of Ultraman and Ultraseven as the two Ultras fired their Ultra Beams, destroying the core of Rayblood's spirit.
Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy LegendsEdit
Much later, Ultraman returned to the Land of Light and served as a High-Ranking Ultra. But the revival of Belial forced him and his elite brethren to repel the renegade from claiming the Plasma Spark, only to ultimately fail. After Ultraman Belial steals the Plasma Spark, causing the Land of Light to freeze over, both Ultraman and Seven are forced to assume their human forms due to the sharp depletion of energy on M78. When Rei and Mirai are wandering the frozen Land of Light in search of the Spark Tower, they are ambushed by Alien Shaplay and his monsters. As Seven, as Dan, rescues Rei and his capsule monsters fight off the monsters, Ultraman, as Hayata, fires at Shaplay, knocking him into a glacier and burying the alien beneath the frozen rubble. Later on, Shaplay ambushed the Ultra Brothers inside the tower to try and get some revenge, but after Dan incapacitates him, Ultraman fires on Shaplay again, sending him over a cliff to his death. After reuniting with Taro, Taro provides them with enough energy to become their Ultra forms again to go to the Monster Graveyard and challenge Belial, eventually winning with the help of Ultraman Zero.
Super Deciding Fight! The Belial Galactic EmpireEdit
Sometime after the destruction of Belial, the Land of Light was attacked again by robots. After Ultraman Zero and Ultraseven defeated them, a piece of them was taken to the Inter Galactic Defense Force, where Ultraman 80 found out it was coming from another universe. Ultraman like everyone else was shocked by that fact, but Ultraman Zero decided to take the challenge and go there. To his surprise, Ultraman Belial, now known as Kaiser Belial, was responsible for many events and he sent an army of Darklops to attack the Land of Light. Ultraman and every other legendary hero fought against the army, and in the end they succeeded in destroying it.
When Seven noticed that his son had traveled to another universe, the Ultra Brothers appears. The question is raised, if Zero's universe hopping was in any way related to the multiversal threat they had detected. A ship of unknown origin giving off a strong amount of minus energy was abducting monsters, dead or alive, even those in the Monster Graveyard. The Ultras declared they would watch for the threat but also noted they could only monitor a small amount of the countless other multiverses at any time. Before the climatic battle against Hyper Zetton, Alien Bat unleashed 5 other kaiju: Antlar, Pandon, Tyrant, Black King, and Verokron, each more powerful than before. The Ultra Brothers: Ultraman, Seven, Jack, Ace and Leo transformed into their Ultra forms in the Land of Light and flew to Dyna's Earth to help Ultraman Zero. The Brothers arrived and Ultraman fought against Antlar, who swiftly destroyed him with his signature move: the Specium Ray.
Prior to Ultraman Ginga, Ultraman participated in the Dark Spark War but this time he fought not only alongside with the Ultra Brothers but, with the other Ultras that came from other universes and their allies against evil side. In the war Ultraman faced his arch nemesis, Zetton. In the midst of the great battle, an unknown evil appeared and turned every Ultras alongside their allies, monsters, and aliens into Spark Dolls. Just as the war about to end an unknown warrior appeared and faced the villain but like others he also turned into Spark Dolls and kept within his Ginga Spark. The location of his Spark Doll is in Dark Lugiel's possession.
Ultraman was later Darklived into Ultraman Dark (ウルトラマンダーク Urutoraman Dakku), a black and red version of himself. He was given to Seiichiro Isurugi along with Ultraseven. Switching between the two Ultras, Seiichiro easily defeated Ginga in their first encounter, but the second time round, Ginga defeated Ultraseven Dark with renewed determination, purifying him and Seven's Spark Dolls.The Ginga Spark Stolen The Jet Black Ultra Brothers Ultraman was lived into by Chigusa Kuno to combat the threat of Super Grand King. He joined Seven and Ultraman Tiga, but the three of them were ultimately defeated while stalling Super Grand King. Darkness and Light Not long after Lugiel's defeat, he was restored to his corporeal form alongside other Spark Dolls as they departed.
Months later, Ultraman returned when Chigusa and Kenta sought a way to stop Alien Magma, who had Darklived into Zetton. With Chigusa as his host once more he fought together with Tiga on the moon. Despite their best efforts, both monsters easily overpowered them. Moreover, both Ultraman and Tiga's Color Timers began to blink. Fortunately, Ginga appeared in the nick of time and defeated both Alien Magma and Zetton. Ginga then transported Ultraman and Tiga back to Earth before they reverted back to Chigusa and Kenta.
Ultraman Ginga SEdit
As mentioned by Taro, Ultraman was among the five senior members of Ultra Brothers that donated him their powers as a sign of support. Thanks to this, Taro changed himself into the Strium Brace for Hikaru Raido/Ultraman Ginga to assume Ginga Strium. Ultraman's power was seen used, among them were Specium Ray against several Inpelaizers. It is presumed that his powers were returned back after Taro's job on Earth is done.
Despite not appearing in the series, Ultraman was mentioned as the sealer of Maga-Zetton and his Ultra Fusion Card was collected by Gai Kurenai after the defeat of the monster in the 1908. Alongside Tiga's card, Ultraman was used to assume Ultraman Orb's Spacium Zeperion to compensate for the sealed Orb Origin. His power was manifested to help Orb finish off Magata no Orochi by firing his Specium Ray.
Ultraman was among the Ultra Warriors who fought against Belial and his army in the Omega Armageddon. However, Ultraman could only gaze at their failures as Belial succeeded in triggering the Crisis Impact before Ultraman King sacrificed his life to undo the damage Belial had caused. Years later, Ultraman's power lies on an Ultra Capsule that is used by Riku Asakura to transform into Ultraman Geed Primitive in union with Belial's capsule. In the finale, Ultraman sensed Geed's determination in defeating Belial from the Land of Light.
Connect the Wishes!Edit
Ultraman reappeared along with Ultraseven, Zoffy, Mother of Ultra and Father of Ultra spectating the fight happening on Earth.
The R/B Crystals of Ultraman and Belial were possessed by Saki Mitsurugi before she gives them to Asahi Minato. Although Katsumi and Isami previously failed to harness the crystals' power while fighting Grigio King, they were able to do so during the rematch. Combining with the Taro, Tiga, Ginga and Victory Crystals, the Kiwami Crystal was formed, which allowed them to transform into Ultraman Ruebe and easily defeat Grigio King.
Ultra Galaxy Fight: New Generation HeroesEdit
The 6 Ultra Brothers had Katsumi Minato and Isami Minato in their Ultra forms transported to the Inter Galactic Defense Force Headquarters in the Land of Light, without them knowing what was going on. Taro welcomed them to the Land of Light.
- Height: 40 m [little over 131 ft]
- Weight: 35,000 t (Earth gravitation)
- Age: 20,000 years old
- Home World: Land of Light, Nebula M78
- Maximum Flight Speed: Mach 5 (the lyrics of Susume Ultraman states that it is Mach 3)
- Maximum Running Speed: 450 kph (280 mph)
- Maximum Underwater Speed: 200 knots (230 mph)
- Maximum Underground Speed: Mach 3
- Maximum Jumping Height: 800 meters (2,600 ft)
- Arm Strength: Though never precisely measured in the stories, it is presumed to be vastly super-humanoid. He is capable of lifting a 100,000-ton tanker and bench-pressing 200,000 tonnes; however, he could not lift the monster Skydon, due to story constraints.
- Occupations: Ultraman used to be a professor at the Space University, as well as the director of the Universe's Galaxy Guard, before he branched out to the Inter Galactic Defense Force. He is also the chief member of the Ultra Brothers.
- Hobbies: Reading
- Family Structure:
- Father: A Inter Galactic Defense Force Service Director General.
- Mother: A teacher at the Ultra School.
- Color Timer: The standard Color Timer.
- Eyes: Ultraman can see beyond the visible spectrum, perhaps the entire spectrum.
- Ultra Armor: Ultraman's skin.
- Template:Nihongo: Even among his peers, Ultraman has immunities not seen by other Ultramen, such as:
- Immunity to electricity.
- Resistant against heat.
- Resistant against Specium Ray.
- Resistant against the force of an atomic explosion.
- Resistant against chemical weathering.
- Shin Hayata: Shin Hayata, acted out by Susumu Kurobe, is the Science Patrol's brave and serious deputy captain, and Ultraman's human host on Earth. When Bemular attacked Earth, Ultraman's Travel Sphere crashed into Hayata's Sub VTOL. Ultraman merged with the Terrestrial to keep him alive, and gave him a "Beta Capsule," a device that can change the man into his Ultra form. Ultraman reunites with Hayata again sometime after his initial separation due to his defeat at Zetton's hands.
- Shuuhei Aragaki: ZAT's deputy captain, Shuhei Aragaki, along with several other ZAT members were downed by Alien Temperor but quickly rescued by Zoffy and brought to the Ultra Brothers. Though unharmed the members of ZAT were knocked unconscious by the event, and the Ultra Brothers decided to temporarily use their bodies to disguise themselves from Alien Temperor as well as guide Ultraman Taro in battle against the alien. Ultraman took Shuhei as his host. After the Alien Temperor was defeated, Ultraman returned to the Land of Light.
Hayata uses the beacon-like Beta Capsule to transform into Ultraman by pressing a button on the capsule's side, triggering the transformation. Separation from the Beta Capsule however, can be problematic, as without it, Hayata was unable to assume his Ultraman form when Gomora attacked again. The Beta Capsule is also shown to be unusable by other beings, as when a child pressed the button, there was no result, and when Hayata was under the control of the Underground people, upon transforming into Ultraman, the effects of the control were eliminated as if never established. Upon the Beta Capsule's activation, Hayata is covered by the Flash Beam, then Ultraman emerges from a smokey red background and enlarges, then appears in giant form soon after. It can be assumed that the sequence takes place in a very short time and is the depiction of Ultraman enlarging, similar to his growth technique.
Ultraman became a Spark Doll in the conclusion of the Dark Spark War due to the Dark Spark's powers. He was likely kept in Dark Lugiel's collection along with Ultraseven, and were eventually given to Alien Nackle Gray, who passed them onto Seiichiro Isurugi, Misuzu's father. After Dark Lugiel's defeat, Ultraman's Spark Doll is likely to have reverted back to its original form and departs Earth to return home.
- Defense Capability (防御能力 Bōgyo Nōryoku): Ultraman's hide seems to be immune to every energy projectile or explosion. It allows him to resist heat, atomic bomb explosions and even electricity (which is commonly seen). Even attacked by the same Specium substance, Ultraman only receives minor injuries. These were used to resist against Neronga and Alien Mefilas' electricity and even Aboras' acidic foam (though it depleted his Color Timer).
- Ultra Psychokinesis (ウルトラ念力 Urutora Nenriki): Ultraman can use this ability to telekinetically control objects and beings. Being able to lift and even throw enemies just by using his mind. He usually crosses his arms or have them in front of him.
- Teleportation (テレポーテーション Terepōtēshon): Ultraman can teleport from one planet to another, but doing so takes up a lot of his energy.
- Size Change: Ultraman is able to change from human-sized to giant.
- Ultra Sign (ウルトラサイン Urutora Sain): Like other Ultras, Ultraman is capable of creating an Ultra Sign.
- Travel Sphere: Ultraman can encase himself in a red energy sphere, this is used for long distance travels through space.
- Extraordinary Jumper: Being as strong as he is, Ultraman has little trouble jumping to great heights.
- Flight: Ultraman is able to fly by emitting anti-gravity waves from his feet.
- Ultra Charge (ウルトラチャージ Urutora Chāji): Ultraman can transfer his energy to another Ultra, either to charge up their attacks or give them power.
- Specium Ray (スペシウム光線 Supeshiumu Kōsen): Ultraman's finisher attack, Ultraman puts his arms in a plus "+" sign, with his right arm vertical and his left one horizontal, he can fire a powerful beam from his right vertical hand that can destroy monsters in one hit. It is fired when Ultraman utilizes the negative Specium energy in his right arm and the positive Specium energy in the left arm, which interact with each other in order to fire the beam. It releases a heat of 500,000 degrees Celsius (900,032 degrees Fahrenheit) and has a destructive power of 500,000 horsepower. On the official English site, it is referred to as the Spacium Beam, after the term "space".
- Marine Specium Ray (マリンスペシウム光線 Marin Supeshiumu Kōsen): Ultraman can fire a stronger rainbow-colored version of the Specium Ray from his "+" shaped hands after being blasted with Ide's "Stamina Booster". Used in Revive! Ultraman.
- Powered Up Specium Ray: A more powerful version of the normal Specium Ray. Used in Ultraman Fighting Evolution Rebirth. An even more powerful version can be unleashed by receiving energy from the Plasma Spark.
- Ultra-Attack Ray (ウルトラアタック光線 Urutora Atakku Kōsen): A spiral energy ray shot from his hands. All of his body's energy spirals around his right arm and out his closed fist in the form of a wave of green energy rings. After hitting the foe Ultraman crosses his arms and clenches his fists, then the foe explodes.
- Ultra-Slash (ウルトラスラッシュ Urutora Surasshu)/Dismembering Halo (八つ裂き光輪 Yatsuzaki Kōrin): Ultraman can form a buzzsaw-like energy disc in his hand and toss it at foes, slicing through monsters with ease. Can also separate into two saws in mid-air, or he can fire two from his hand at once. In whatever form he fires them, they can home in on a foe.
- Slash Ray (スラッシュ光線 Surasshu Kōsen): Ultraman can fire a stream of arrow shaped rays from his hand when he places his other hand above it. Can also have explosive effects.
- Colorium Ray (カラーリウム光線 Karāriumu Kōsen): An "L" style technique used only in Ultraman Festival 2016, Ultraman puts his right hand vertically onto the left and opens up only 2 of his fingers. A powerful, rainbow-like beam is fired and can kill powerful monsters in 1 shot. This is from a winning entry of 2016 Televi-kun Magazine contest.
- Air Body (空中体当たり Kūchū-tai Atari): Ultraman rams the opponent with his body in mid-air. His body does not seem to suffer any ill effects from the collision.
- Ultra Headbutt (ウルトラ頭突き Urutora Zudzuki): Ultraman hits the opponent with the top of his head, it is said to be a hundred times harder than diamonds.
- Ultra Chop (ウルトラチョップ Urutora Choppu): A basic chop. Ultraman tends to use this on opponents in an attempt to daze or stun them.
- Ultra Haze Slash (ウルトラかすみ斬り Urutora Kasumigiri): Also known as Ultra Sword Haze, this technique is a variation of Ultra Chop where Ultraman slices or punches the opponent as he passes. This was used on Jirass to slit his throat.
- Ultra Punch (ウルトラパンチ Urutora Panchi): A punch skill to assess the weaknesses of the enemy. Said to have the power of fifty charging elephants.
- Ultra Kick (ウルトラキック Urutora Kikku): A kicking technique using concentrated power in the legs. It is several hundred times stronger than what would be expected from his stature.
- Swoop Kick (急降下キック Kyūkōka Kikku): A double kick from high altitudes. Used on Greenmons, Red King, Gomora, and Geronimon.
- Rotation Choking Kick (回転首締めキック Kubishime Kikku): Strangles the opponent with his feet, similar to a wrestling move. Used on Dada.
- Ultra Swing (ウルトラスウィング Urutora Suuingu): Grabs the opponent and throws them.
- Dropped Rock (岩石落とし Ganseki Otoshi): Lifts the opponent into the air and slams them into the ground.
- Flying Mare (背負い投げ Shoinage): Grabs the opponent by the neck and throws them. Used on Red King and Telesdon.
- Monkey Flip (巴投げ Tomoenage): When faced with a charging opponent, Ultraman grabs them, falls on his back and uses the opponents momentum and his leg to flip them over.
- Neck Hanging (ネックハンギング Nekku Hangingu): A technique where Ultraman holds his opponent by the neck while lifting them. When his foe is weakened he throws them.
- Headlock (ヘッドロック Heddo Rokku): Ultraman headlocks his opponent to seal their movements.
- Ultra Barrier (ウルトラバリヤー Urutora Bariyā)/Rebound Ray (リバウンド光線 Ribaundo Kōsen): Ultraman draws a rectangular shield in the air which is energized by his fingers to deflect/reflect any type of attack. Also used in conjunction with Ultraseven to survive from being frozen.
- Ultra V Barrier (ウルトラヴィバリヤー Urutora Vu~i Bariyā): Seen in Ultraman Ginga, Ultraman can cross his hands to deflect attacks.
- Ultra Air Catch (ウルトラエアキャッチ Urutora Ea Kacchi): Ultraman extends his arms directly in front of him and fires a white laser from both of his hands. He then moves one of his arms to a 90° angle. Used to hold Red King II temporarily frozen in the air.
- Ultra Air Catch (V2) (ウルトラエアキャッチ(ヴィ2) Urutora Ea Kacchi (Bui Tsu))/Ultra Anti-Gravity Ray: A variant of the technique. Also known as the. A beam that can lift the opponent into the air. Used on Kiyla.
- Fluoroscope Ray (透視光線 Tōshi Kōsen): Ultraman can emit a beam of light from his eyes that will make invisible objects or monsters visible.
- Ultra Discernment (ウルトラ眼光 Urutora Gankō): Beams from Ultraman's eyes used to remove energy barriers of most foes. Used on Alien Baltan II.
- Catch-Rings (キャッチリング Kacchi Ringu): Ultraman can spin around so fast that he creates energy rings, used to capture/ensnare foes.
- Ultra Water Current (ウルトラ水流 Urutora Suiryū): Ultraman can emit a stream of water from his right hand when he places his other hand above it, in a similar fashion to the Slash Ray. This can either be used as a method to put out fires or as an attack.
- High Spin (ハイスピン Hai Supin): Ultraman spins around very quickly. This ability can ward off spatial distortion effects such as those used by Bullton.
- Ultra-Separation (ウルトラセパレーション Urutora Separēshon): Ultraman can create exact duplicates of himself. Each can fight on their own, even over long distances, and all have the same powers as the original. Used in Revive! Ultraman.
- Enlargement Ray: A beam used to enlarge the Yamabuki sisters to Ultraman's size.
- W Beam (Wビーム W Bīmu)/W Ray (W光線 W Kōsen): Ultraman combines his Specium Ray with Seven's Emerium Ray. Used to destroy the Alien Nackle's spacecrafts and free Ultraman Jack.
- Triple Ray (トリプル光線 Toripuru Kōsen): Ace and Ultraman use their Specium Rays with Jack's Cinerama Shot. This was used to take down Leo.
- Grand Spark (グランドスパーク Gurando Supāku): A combination of his Specium Ray and Ace, Seven, Jack, or Zoffy's signature rays to create a large beam.
- Final Cross Shield (ファイナルクロスシールド Fainaru Kurosu Shīrudo): A shield used with Seven, Ace, and Jack to seal Yapool.
- Energy Exposure (エネルギー照射 Enerugī Shōsha): Ultraman's Ultra Charge is used together with Seven, Jack, and Ace. Used to revive Mebius in Ultraman Mebius & the Ultra Brothers.
- Energy Charge (エネルギーチャージ Enerugī Chāji): Ultraman, Zoffy, Jack and Seven stand in a circle, holding their hands, and give energy to others. First used to charge Ace to full power to go to Earth and fight Baraba.
- Red Light (レッドライト Reddo Raito): Ultraman performs the Body Windmill with Ultraseven and Zoffy, creating a beam which was used to slow down Beatstar's planet ship.
- Double Specium Ray (ダブルスペシウム光線 Daburu Supeshiumu Kōsen): He performs the Specium Ray with Ultraman Orb. Only used in Ultraman Festival 2016 to finish off Zetton Alien Baltan.
- Cosmo Miracle Slash (コスモミラクルスラッシュ Kosumo Mirakuru Surasshu): Exclusive to Ultraman Fusion Fight!, Taro shoots the Cosmo Miracle Ray while Ultraman fires a multitude of Ultra-Slash halos.
- Ultra Specium Shushu Final (ウルトラスペシウムシュシュファイナル Urutora Supeshiumu Shushu Fainaru): A combination attack with the Yamabuki sisters.
Ultraman Dark has the same techniques as the original. They were labelled as Dark Specium Ray (ダークスペシウム光線 Dāku Supeshiumu Kōsen) and Dark Ultra-Slash (ダークウルトラスラッシュ Dāku Urutora Surasshu) respectively.